Monday, August 31, 2009

What I Love About New York #3: Century 21

Now I know that most people hate Century 21, my boyfriend tends to run for the door after 5 minutes of the insanity, but I LOVE it. Century 21 is amazing, for a certain kind of shopper. You have to be a person who enjoys digging through rack after rack, who's main thrill in shopping is finding pieces 90% off and who is not afraid of being rude and pushing through other shoppers. I am a sale shopper, through and through. My father is very stereotypically Jewish, and I was raised to buy everything on sale, I never pay retail for anything, and I've always gotten a sick pleasure out of rummaging through outlets, thrift stores, sample sales, etc.

Yes, it's crowded, frustrating and overwhelming, and you really have to come in with a plan. I bring water and a snack, and plan to be there for hours. Finding the hidden gems required flipping through every item in every rack, but to me finding Adam Lippes cocktail dresses for $20, Helmut Lang tanks for $15 and a Margiela skirt for $24 is always, always worth it. Although I will say, anythign in a delicate fabric tends to get destroyed here, and it can be really painful to see these gorgeous chiffon and silk dresses just destroyed.

No comments: