Monday, August 10, 2009

What I Love About New York #2: Public Pools

As a Californian, I've been dying this whole summer for some swimming, but it wasn't until is surpassed 90 degrees today that I finally decided it was time to venture to one of the pools. I've never been a public pool before, as they don't exist in small beach towns. It takes 3 trains to get to Red Hook from where I live (I think the subway system in Brooklyn might be my next blog because I hate it so much), and standing in a line just to get into the rec center wasn't too promising. But I have never seen a bigger pool in my life, and even with hundred of people there, there was plenty of room. It's very loud and there's a mix of so many different kinds of people and the lifeguards are constantly blowing whistles, but I loved it. Maybe because it was the only time all day that I wasn't sweaty, but I am totally sold.